Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ideas, Writing, and Me

I know I don't post very often, nor do I post lengthy posts. I know some people might expect that out of a blog. But I just can't do that. I'd rather spend my time typing on a novel or a story, rather then pounding the keys to put out a massive blog post.
But I've been wanting to write this post for a long while now. I just wanted to clear the air about a few things.
I like to talk about every little idea I have. I like to set deadlines for myself that I know I can't possibly keep. It makes me work harder. It also burns me out on certain ideas. So when you hear me talking about an awesome story idea that I'm totally behind, like Cedarcrest, Mr. Thomas, or Mommy Tales or even the Smitten trilogy… I always plan to finish them. I just don't.
They sit on my hard drive and eventually I revisit them. I do plan to finish them all, even if it takes me until I'm thirty, but I forget.
I start a lot of projects knowing full well that I'll never be able to finish them. I also start a lot of fanfics and intend them to go for chapters and chapters and chapters and then end them after the first or second chapter because I get bored.
That's my main problem. Everything ends up boring me in the end. Even if it's a really fun, exciting story with characters that are snarky and awesome, I end up pulling away from them. I think part of it is that I know that once I finish their book, once I finish the story, it's over. Those stories will never come back, except if I read my work.
And that's not the same. It's not the same as creating something that first time. It's such a thrill to have total control over a cast of characters. But so many of my characters are one story characters, almost all of them are single book or even single chapter characters. It's hard to say goodbye to them after their stories have been told.
So please always take my release dates with a grain of salt.
And never be afraid to give me a new idea. Even if you're excited for the release of something else, starting me on a new idea is a good way to get me to look at my old stuff with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment