Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Adventures of Mr. Thomas Prequel story #1


 “You aren’t what I expected,” I said, breaking the horrible silence that had fallen. He looked up from the console he was repairing.
“Yeah? And what did you expect? Little green dogs from Mars?” His attention turned back to the console and I continued to pace. All around us- outside his ship, trying to get in- were hundreds of thousands of ants. Ants the size of Dalmatians.
“But you look human!” I exclaimed after a few more insufferable moments, “You can’t just tell me that you’re an alien and expect me to believe it!”
“Jenna, I need you to do one thing for me now,” he said without looking up, “can you do just one little thing for me?”
“Why should I?”
“Just shut up and let me repair my ship so we don’t die.”
“What?”
“Are you deaf or just plain stupid? I told you, girl, shut up and let me work!”
I bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut, continuing to pace back and forth. Tears welled in my eyes and I tried desperately not to cry. His ship seemed like it was larger on the inside from what it’d seemed, then again, I’d never been inside a real spaceship before. Perhaps they were all larger on the inside. I just wished I knew how to open the door.
“Why can’t you just let me go?” I asked after an unbearably long silence had passed. He snorted with frustration.
“I told you, Jenna. Shut up a minute and let me work. I can’t do this and explain what I’m doing at the same time. At least, I can’t do that as fast as I need to do this. So for the last time, let me work.
“Is this really the end of the world?” I asked. He looked up at me, making fierce eye contact.
“Yes. It is.” I froze in my spot, staring at him. He turned back to the console, his hands moving quicker than I’d ever seen anyone move.
“But, ants?”
“Here’s the thing: It’s never the thing you expect it to be.” He reached up and hit a couple of buttons on a console above his head, and the entire ship jerked, sending me flailing to my butt. His eyes locked on me again and he let out a maniacal laugh. “Here we go, Jenna Warren.”
The ship jerked again, and I was thrown forward. My head hit the bulkhead, my vision blurred, and everything went black.

No comments:

Post a Comment